Sunday, June 24, 2007

Let's Raise Up (Psalm 127)

Before you cross the threshold to start any task, do you seek God's blessing? Oh, I see. You thought you were your own source of blessing.

Don't act so ditty, like you can do even one thing independent of God. I know how you wrestle with the nightmare of care. Look up higher, and take God along with you.

Okay, here's an exercise. Read the first line of each of the Songs of Degrees, beginning with Psalm 120, and string them all together. "In my distress I cried unto the Lord, I will lift up mine eyes to the hills, let us go into the house of the Lord, unto thee lift I up mine eyes, if it had not been the Lord, they that trust in the Lord, when the Lord turned again the captivity."

This Psalm is assigned to Solomon. He was a father and a builder. God nicknamed him Jedediah. It means "Beloved." God gives his beloved sleep. He even gives to his beloved while they sleep. I know you don't believe me, so let me call the roll.

  • God gave Adam a bride while he was sleeping.
  • God gave Abraham a covenant while he was sleeping.
  • God gave to Jacob a pillar and a promise, while he was sleeping.
  • God gave to Solomon wisdom while he was sleeping.
  • God gave to Daniel the interpretation of Nebby's dream while sleeping.
Do I need to draw you a picture? When Jesus was sleeping in death, God gave him sons and a seed to satisfy him (Isa 53:10; Heb 3:6).

Work is a blessing to enjoy and not a burden to endure, because doing God's will is nourishment and not punishment (see Jesus' own view in John 4:32,34). Blessing comes to the faithful even when they are resting. Hallelujah. One day the Satanic world order will be obliterated (Zech 13:2), and all these blessings will be realized in full.

We are his children (Ps 127:3), and we will be more than conquerors (vv 4-5). In the mean time, we have a house to build, a city to protect, and a seed to raise up.